Friday, August 24, 2007

Practice Wrap – 8/24/07

By JAKE SCHALLER, THE GAZETTE

One of the positions that will be up for grabs tomorrow during Air Force’s scrimmage at Falcon Stadium is deep snapper.

Senior Tony Norman began the season as the starting deep snapper, but on the depth chart released last Monday, junior Scott Howley had moved in front of him.

Heading into Saturday, coach Troy Calhoun said, “It’s a toss-up.”

“I think Scott Howley, his snaps have been a little more consistent, a little more velocity, a little better spiral from what I see. I think Tony Norman might be a little better in coverage,” Calhoun said. “That will be one thing tomorrow that we’ll really look at.”

Notes from Friday …

Who stood out: Senior tailback Jim Ollis. Mostly because Ollis was on the field.

The converted quarterback, who was expected to challenge for the starting tailback job, has been hampered most of the preseason with an injured left ankle. He was back Friday, albeit during a practice in which players were dressed in helmets, jerseys and shorts.

“I watched him today and I see him at about 85, 90 percent,” Calhoun said. “If I look out there at any time and I see a guy favoring something, then he’s not ready. I admire the heck out of his determination – I see a guy like Jim Ollis, and I know he’s busting it to get back out. He’s not a guy that’s going to find a little more time to sit in the training room and try and major in treatment. What his major is is competition.”

Still, Calhoun said Ollis would play “very little” if at all tomorrow.

Lasting image: Guard Nick Charles practicing at tackle. No, Charles isn’t switching positions. Calhoun and offensive line coach Clay Hendrix just wanted him to get familiar with the position in case of an emergency. Sophomore tackle Chris Campbell – who opened practice as a starter – should be back from an injury by Monday. But sophomore Anthony Schelstrate likely is done for the year with ligament damage in his left knee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Calhoun pushing guys so hard to get back on the field he isn't delaying there ultimate. Ollis clearly tried to come back too soon. I hope the same doesn't happen to Thomas or anyone one else.

How much of the play book does Calhoun estimate is installed, and useable? Every pre-season review always mentions the difficulty of learning a new system. I think its over stated.